Subject: Re: (New) windows modeller!!
From: [email-masked] (Phillip Finch)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:24:31 -0500

Kon Wilms <[email-masked]> wrote re: the AMAPI modeller:

>First, it's not a mac port. As far as I know, the Mac version came after
the PC.

>If people bothered to look, things would be so much easier. Broaden your mind.

(much snipping in the interests of bandwidth on a topic of only peripheral
interest; ordinarily I wouldn't reply at all, but since narrow-mindedness is
one of the few sins I've never been accused of...) 

>From lesson 5 in the tutorial demo:

" The cancel key is the key "APPLE" with the key "Z""

Maybe this wasn't a leftover from the original Mac version, carelessly
overlooked. But I wouldn't bet on it. 

In any case, the instructions are *still* in near pidgin English. 

And the tutorials *still* crash at nearly every turn. 

Hey, I have nothing against new-and-different. Really. And it's not like I
downloaded the demo to have the pleasure of jumping all over it. I've been
looking for a modeller that does certain things better than LW. I'm prepared
to take brilliance--or even competence--where I find it. 

But in 15 years of using computers, I have wasted too many hundreds of hours
trying to be productive with applications that were ruined by inattention to
detail. So I guess you could say that I'm prejudiced when I run across when
a demo as shoddily-done as this one. 

If an aversion to poorly-written docs and buggy software is a sign of a
closed mind, then I guess I'm guilty after all. It must be old age setting in. 

>Modeller is not the do-all end-all solution.

No. But the instructions are intelligible, and it works...

Cheers,

Phil Finch  (still looking for that damn APPLE key on his IBM keyboard)